Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cookie Time

I got my bake on this Christmas and made some Christmas tree and star cookies. They didn't turn out too bad considering I used a zip-loc bag for decorating. I think I need to add a piping bag to my baking box of goodies though. I also found this awesome poem from Dr. Seuss (I LOVE Dr. Seuss!) and made little cards to go in the gift bags with the cookies. They tasted pretty good too, so here's the recipe:

Pepparkakor (Swedish Gingerbread Cookies)

Ingredients (makes 40-50 cookies):
150g butter (chopped)
150g packed brown sugar
2/3 cup golden syrup
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp baking soda
1 gg
3 1/2 cups plain flour

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Melt butter and combine in a medium saucepan with brown sugar, golden syrup and spices.
3. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl, add baking soda and stir.
4. Beat egg and add to mixture, followed by flour, one cup at a time. Blend thoroughly.
5. On a floured board, roll out the mixture, approximately 4mm in thickness.
6. Use cookie cutters to create Christmas shapes.
7. Bake on a baking paper lined tray for 8-10 minutes.
8. Cool and decorate as desired.

Once baked and ready to share, embrace Swedish tradition and place a Pepparkaka in the palm of your hand, tapping it to crack it before eating. 
Swedish custom says if the Pepparkaka breaks into three pieces, you can make a special wish!


For Christmas 2011 I did a lot of baking. I was working full-time so I had a bit more time and money to spend. These are not for the faint hearted, I must say; it took me hours and hours to bake hundreds of cookies, only to still decorate them and assemble the trees. They did look fabulous though!





No comments:

Post a Comment